- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 T flour
- 1 1/4 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups beef stock or canned beef broth (can substitute red wine for some of the broth)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Dredge beef in flour and sautÃ© until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sautÃ© 1 minute. Add beef stock, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Add potatoes, onion and carrots to beef stew, could also add peas, beans, or corn. Simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are very tender, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Tilt pan and spoon off fat.
makes 4 to 6 servings.
From â€˜Weasel Cooks 2007â€² by Jenifer Burke – a collection of favorite family recipes.