yield: Makes 4 servings
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons meat seasoning (1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon ground celery seed, 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- 1/2 cup prepared basic green chile
- 1 pound beef stew meat or 1 pound pork butt
- Water to cover
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add stew meat to a large casserole and cover with water. Bring to a boil and remove any film or residue from the surface. Turn down to a simmer and cook for ten minutes.
Add onion, tomato, celery, meat seasoning, and basic green chile and continue cooking over low heat, just above a simmer. When meat begins to become fork tender (about 1 hour) add carrots and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
Just before serving, add potatoes, adjust seasoning, and serve when potatoes are cooked through.