yield: Serves 6
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 1/3 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups 1-inch pieces peeled butternut or acorn squash
- 2 cups 1-inch pieces peeled russet potatoes
- 1 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2- to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to Dutch oven; sautÃ© until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to plate.
Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sautÃ© until golden, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon; stir 1 minute. Return chicken to pot. Add squash, potatoes, broth and tomatoes. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer until chicken and potatoes are cooked through and liquid is slightly reduced, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro.