From Gourmet | August 2001
Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 1 hr
Yield: Makes about 24 large cookies
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups packaged finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 12 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), cut into 1/2-inch chunks (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup almonds with skins (4 oz), toasted, cooled, and chopped
Preheat oven to 375Â°F.
Beat together butter and sugars in a bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy. Add eggs and beat until just blended, then beat in vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Add flour and mix at low speed until just blended. Stir in oats, coconut, chocolate, and almonds.
Arrange 1/4-cup mounds of cookie dough about 3 inches apart on 2 lightly buttered large baking sheets (about 8 cookies per sheet), then gently pat down each mound to about 1/2 inch thick. Bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position and rotating pans halfway through baking, until golden, 15 to 18 minutes total.
Cool cookies on sheets 1 minute, then transfer with a spatula to racks to cool completely. Make more cookies in same manner.