This time-honored recipe comes from one of our favorite Cabot employees. It’s got a generous portion of tangy cheddar, a golden crumb topping, and a hint of cayenne and mustard.
2 cups small elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
2 cups whole milk, heated
4 cups grated Cabot Sharp Cheddar (about 16 ounces), divided
1/2 cup buttered bread crumbs
1. Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions.
2. Preheat oven to 350ÂºF. Butter 2 1/2-quart baking dish or coat with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
3. In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Sprinkle flour into butter and whisk constantly until you have thick, smooth paste with nutty aroma, about 5 minutes.
4. Add mustard, red pepper and Worcestershire. Gradually whisk in milk and continue stirring until sauce thickens and returns to simmer.
5. Reduce heat to low. Add 3 cups of cheese and stir until melted. Add macaroni, stirring until well coated. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over top, followed by crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden on top and bubbling throughout.
Calories 420 ,Â Total Fat 16g ,Â Saturated Fat 16g ,Â Sodium 345mg ,Â Carbohydrates 19g ,Â Dietary Fiber <1g ,Â Protein 0g ,Â Calcium 420mg