found in The New York Times
Adapted from Josh Eden, Shortyâ€™s.32
Time: 30 minutes, plus 1 to 3 hoursâ€™ refrigeration
- 2 large cucumbers (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 large tarragon sprigs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups plain rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
1. Slice cucumbers crosswise 1/4 inch thick, and pack into 2 quart-size jars. Divide tarragon, mustard seeds, peppercorns, coriander seeds and bay leaves between 2 double layers of cheesecloth. Tie into bundles with string.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar with sugar and bundles of pickling spices, and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour brine over cucumbers, pack bundles of pickling spices on top and let cool. Discard spices, close jars and refrigerate at least 1 hour, preferably 3. Serve cold.
Yield: 2 quarts.