Irish soda bread, sometimes referred to as Bastible Cake, is a great bread to make for St. Patrickâ€™s Day or any other time of the year. For this yummy Irish soda bread recipe, you will need:
One pound and two ounces of strong white or strong whole meal flour
Cream of tartar
Bicarbonate of soda
1. In a large bowl, combine the 1 pound and two ounces of strong white or strong whole meal flour (which ever you prefer to use) with 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, and 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar.
2. Add 1/2 pint of milk and mix well. The dough should be soft when you finish mixing it.
3. Grease a baking sheet. Mold the bread dough into a ball and place it on the greased baking sheet. With a knife, cut a 3/4 inch deep cross on the top of the dough.
4. Use a 7â€ cake tin to cover the ball of dough.
5. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Place the baking sheet in the oven and let the bread cook for 35 minutes.
6. Once the bread is finished cooking, allow it to cool on a wire rack before serving.